Alan W. Livingston, the music executive who created Bozo the Clown and signed the Beatles during his tenure as president of Capitol Records, has died. He was 91.
Whoa. Hold up. Now I guess Bozo is pretty cool, if you are under the age of 9. But this man signed the Beatles. This was possibly the single most important A&R move of all time. Really, he changed the face of American music. Apparently Capitol didn't want to bring the Beatles on in 1964, fearing their breakthrough single "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was "unsuitable for American audiences". Not only that but he signed the Beach Boys, and Frank Sinatra when he was left without a contract late in his career, leading to his comeback. The clown thing should have been a fucking afterthought. So RIP, Alan W. Livingston. I'm sure a ton of people skipped over your obit last week not realizing you were pretty much a music industry legend.

No comments:
Post a Comment